July 12, 2020
As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your erstwhile ignorance, but as He who called you is holy, you besides be holy in all your lead ( I Peter 1:14-15 ESV ) .
As Christians, we have an obligation to be obedient to God. When we were out of the ark of safety, we did not know any better. As the proverb confirms, “ When you know better, you will do better. ”
God is congregation to us, so we must be faithful to Him. however, that is a lot easier said than done. When we are unfaithful to Him, there are consequences to pay. On the other hand, when we are obedient to Him, it is rewarding .
then, what is obedience to God ? Biblical obedience to God means to hear, confidence, take and resignation to God and His son. According to Mary Fairchild in “ Learn Religions, ” in the history of the Ten Commandments, we see precisely how authoritative the concept of obedience is to God. Deuteronomy 11:26-28 sums it up like this : “ Obey and you will be blessed. Disobey and you will be cursed. ” Fairchild goes on to parcel eight reasons why obedience to God is important :
• Jesus calls us to obey. Our motivation for obedience to God should be love. Jesus demonstrates the perfect model of obedience. “ If you love me, you will keep my commandments. ” ( John 14:15 ESV )
• Obedience is an act of worship. “ You shall tear down their altars and break their pillars and cut down their Asherim ( for you shall worship no early idol, for the Lord, whose diagnose is Jealous, is a covetous God ). ” ( Exodus 34:13-14 ESV )
• God rewards obedience. “ And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed — all because you have obeyed me. ” ( Genesis 22:18 NLT )
• obedience to God proves our sexual love. “ For this is the beloved of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. ” ( I John 5:3 ESV )
• obedience to God demonstrates faith. “ So you see, it isn ’ triiodothyronine enough merely to have faith. You must besides do full to prove that you have it. Faith that doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate read itself by commodity works is no faith at all — it is dead and useless. ” ( James 2:17 TLB )
• Obedience is better than sacrifice. “ To do righteousness and judge is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice. ” ( Proverbs 21:3 ESV )
• Disobedience leads to sin and death. “ Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. ” ( Ephesians 5:6 ESV )
Through obedience, we experience the blessings of holy living. “ One serviceman disobeyed God and many became sinners. But in the lapp way, one man obeyed God and many will be made right. ” ( Romans 5:19 ERV )
Learning how to be obedient to God is not something that you will be able to do nightlong. It will be a process that you will have to work on day by day. First, you must set it as a finish in your christian way of behavior. In order to learn obedience, you must know what is required, and that is, knowing His word. The lone way that you can know His bible is through studying it daily .
Studying the discussion is not all that you must do. You must pray for guidance in your learning obedience, besides. consequently, all of this must come honestly from the heart, out of beloved for God. then you will receive God ’ s honor for your obedience.
Have a wonderfully blessed workweek, last out safe, get involved in righting the wrongs of social injustice, and never leave base without Him !
( Anna Bright is a minister and educator in Walterboro. She can be reached at abrightcolumn @ lowcountry.com )