2021-22 Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Program (CHEME-BS, BSH, BASH, or MIN)
Chemical Engineering is a discipline that relates to numerous areas of technology. In broad terms, chemical engineers are responsible for the invention and design of processes for the purpose of production, transformation, and enchant of biochemicals, chemicals, department of energy, and materials .
More recently, chemical engineers are increasingly involved in the plan of new products that are enabled by emerging process technologies. These activities begin with experiment in the lab and are followed by execution of the engineering to all-out production. The deputation of the Chemical Engineering department at Stanford is to provide professional discipline, exploitation, and education for the future generation of leaders in chemical sciences and engineering .
The big number of industries that depend on the deduction and serve of chemicals and materials place the chemical engineer in great demand. In addition to traditional examples such as the chemical, energy and oil industries, opportunities in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, electronic materials and device fabrication, and environmental mastermind are increasing. The unique aim of the chemical engineer becomes essential in these areas whenever processes involve the chemical or physical transformation of matter. For exercise, chemical engineers working in the chemical diligence investigate the creation of new polymeric materials with significant electrical, optical, or mechanical properties. This requires attention not only to the synthesis of the polymer, but besides to the menstruation and form processes necessary to create a final examination product .
In biotechnology, chemical engineers have responsibilities in the plan of production processes and facilities to use microorganisms and enzymes to synthesize fresh drugs. Chemical engineers besides solve environmental problems by developing engineering and processes, such as catalytic converters and effluent discussion facilities, to minimize the release of products harmful to the environment.
Reading: Chemical Engineering Program
To carry out these activities, the chemical engineer requires a accomplished and quantitative understand of both the scientific and engineering principles underlying these technical processes. This is reflected in the course of study of the chemical engineering department, which includes the discipline of applied mathematics, material and energy balances, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, department of energy and mass remove, separations technologies, chemical reaction kinetics and nuclear reactor design, biochemical engineering and process design. Courses are built on a foundation garment in the sciences of chemistry, physics, and biota .
The individual student ’ randomness mathematics and science course preparation for the chemical technology major depends on his or her previous background in these areas. Following are five congressman sequences or 4-year plans. plan 5 is representative of the schedule of courses for students approved for honors research, which requires a minimum of 12 units in accession to the normal requirements for the major .
spokesperson programs :
1 ) little readiness in mathematics and chemistry : This plan starts with MATH 19, 20, 21, and CHEM 31A & 31B, with discipline abroad .
2 ) No AP mathematics credits, prepared to start with MATH 19/20/21 series, then move to CME mathematics series. potent chemistry readiness ; begin with CHEM 31M .
3 ) AP mathematics credits, prepared to start with the CME mathematics series ( CME 100 & 102 ), which is recommended rather of the MATH 50 series. Start with CHEM 31M .
4 ) Same preparation as # 3, but with a quarter abroad .
5 ) Same readiness as # 3, but with a degree finish of a B.S. with Honors in Chemical Engineering. This departmental Honors Program is by application only ; see departmental student services. This design is for students interested in an in-depth research experience in addition to the normal coursework for the major .
Check our Departmental web site or Intranet web site. Our staff, staff, and students would be glad to talk with you about majoring in Chemical Engineering. If you would like more information about this major, please contact our departmental scholar services staff in Shriram Center, room 129 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
CHEME Program Sheet
CHEME 4-Year Plans
UG Program Director : Andy Spakowitz — Shriram Center 129, aspakow @ stanford.edu
Student Services : ( located in Shriram Center 129 ) John Whitney
and Andrew LeMat
chair : Zhenan Bao chair-cheme @ stanford.edu
For instructions on how to declare the CHEME major, chute to the bottom of this page .
Objectives and Outcomes for Chemical Engineering
- Graduates will be effective in applying the basic chemical engineering principles along with analytical problem-solving and communication skills necessary to succeed in diverse careers including chemical engineering practice and academic research.
- Graduates will be effective life-long learners especially in a field whose focus areas, tools, and professional and societal expectations are constantly changing.
- Graduates will be equipped to successfully pursue postgraduate study whether in engineering or in other fields.
- Graduates will consider the broader context of social, environmental, economic and safety issues and demonstrate high standards of professional and ethical responsibility to become responsible citizens and leaders in the community and in the field of chemical science.
- (a) An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- (b) An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- (c) An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- (d) An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- (e) An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- (f) An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- (g) An ability to communicate effectively
- (h) The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- (i) A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- (j) A knowledge of contemporary issues
- (k) An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Instructions for Finding Out More About the Chemical Engineering Major
- Contact Chemical Engineering Student Services at email@example.com. We encourage you to let the department know that you are considering the major so we can give you an opportunity to ask questions and get more information about chemical engineering, our advising program, summer internships, year-round research opportunities, etc
- Attend monthly departmental advising sessions.
- Check 4-Year Plans and Flowchart for ways to negotiate requirements in four years.
Find current major requirements for this and all other School of Engineering major programs at Explore Degrees
Chemical Engineering Program Requirements
Mathematics and Science (47-53 Units)
|MATH 19, 20, 21||Single Variable Calculus (or AP credit and placement via the Math Diagnostic)||10||A,W/A,W,S/A,W,S||Fr|
|CME 100* or Math 51 AND 52||Vector Calculus for Engineers||5||A,W,S||Fr, So|
CME 102* or
average Differential Equations for Engineers
ordinary Differential Equations with Linear Algebra
A, W, S, Sum
A, W, S, Sum
CME 104 or
Linear Algebra & Partial Diff Eqs for ENGRs
Intro to Probability and Statistics for Engineers
Read more: What Can You Do With a Mathematics Degree?
CHEM 31M ( once 31X ) or
Chemical Principles ( or AP credit and placement via the Chemistry Diagnostic )
Chemical Principles ( two-quarter sequence )
|CHEM 33||Structure & Reactivity||5||W,S||Fr|
|CHEM 121 (formerly 35)||Organic Chemistry of Bioactive Molecules||5||A,S||Fr|
|PHYSICS 41 or||Mechanics ( or AP credit and Physics Diagnostic placement )||4||A, W ( offered 2x 21-22 entirely )||So|
|PHYSICS 43||Electricity & Magnetism (or AP credit and Physics Diagnostic placement)||4||W,S,Sum||So|
- CME 100 and 102 are the recommended math courses for ChemE majors.
Technology in Society (3-5 units)
choose one course from the approved TiS List ; the course chosen must be on the SoE Approved List the year it is taken .
Engineering Fundamentals (2 courses minimum)
- ENGR 20, Intro to Chemical Engineering, 4 units, (W), Fr/So (same as CHEMENG 20)
- CHEMENG 55, Foundational Biology for Engineers, 5 units, (A), Fr/So (same as ENGR 55)
Engineering Depth (48 units)
|CHEMENG 100||Chem Process Modeling, Dynamics, & Control||3||A||Jr|
|CHEMENG 110A||Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||3||A||Jr|
|CHEMENG 110B||Multi-Component and Multi-Phase Thermodynamics||3||W||Jr|
|CHEMENG 120A||Fluid Mechanics||4||W||Jr|
|CHEMENG 120B||Energy & Mass Transport||4||S||Jr|
|CHEMENG 130A||Microkinetics – Molecular Principles of Chemical Kinetics||3||S||Jr|
|CHEMENG 130B||Kinetics and Reactor Design||3||A||Sr|
|CHEMENG 180||Chemical Engineering Plant Design||4||A||Sr|
|CHEMENG 185A||Chemical Engineering Lab A (satisfies WIM)||4||W||Sr|
|CHEMENG 185B||Chemical Engineering Lab B||4||S||Sr|
|CHEM 141||The Chemical Properties of Life I||4||W||Sr|
|CHEM 171||Physical Chemistry I||4||S||So/Jr|
Depth Electives: Choose one
|CHEMENG 150 or||Biochemical Engineering||3||W|
|CHEMENG 170X or||Mechanics of Soft Matter; Rheology||3||W||Sr|
|CHEMENG 174 or||Environmental Microbiology I,||3||A||Jr|
|CHEMENG 175X||Electrochemical Water Treatment: Materials & Processes||3||S||Sr|
|CHEMENG 177 or||Data Science & Machine Learning in Chemical & Materials Engineering||3||S||Sr|
|CHEMENG 183 or||Biochemistry II||3||W||Jr|
|CHEMENG 189 or||Entrepreneurship / Intrapreneurship, People, Innovation, Decision-Making and Impact||3||A||all|
CHEMENG 190 or
Undergraduate Research in Chemical Engineering
Undergraduate Honors Research in Chemical Engineering
Entrepreneurship in Engineering & Science-based Industries
A, W, S
A, W, S
- Log onto Axess and request to major in Chemical Engineering
- Print or download your unofficial Stanford transcript from Axess
- Download a CHEME program sheet in Excel and complete it electronically. You must choose and follow the requirements from a year you were enrolled at Stanford. Enter “AP” instead of a course grade for any course waived due to AP credit.
- Save the electronic file for your records
- Send your unofficial transcript and completed Program Sheet to the Chemical Engineering Services Specialist.
Coterm Application Deadlines and Contacts
Visit the Coterm web site or reach John Whitney
11/01/21 for Win 21-22
Read more: Theatre Education & Performance
02/14/22 for Spr 21-22
08/1/21 for Aut 22-23
American Institute of Chemical Engineers