11 Side Gigs You Can Do Entirely from Home
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. We provide you with accurate, reliable information. Learn more about how we make money and select our advertising partners
The rapid changes we experienced global to slow the scatter of the modern coronavirus were, to put it lightly, bully on the wallet.
Whether your work hours have been reduced, you ’ ve been laid off from a full-time job, or you need a fracture from gigs that don ’ metric ton allow social distance like ride share or grocery delivery, finding a modern source of income without leaving home might be daunting .
You can always find work-from-home jobs though our portal. But possibly you fair need something to get by for now until this all blows over .
slope gigs are a capital way to bolster your bank account, and you can find a long ton of on-line gigs that never require you to leave the house .
Side Gigs You Can Do from Home
here are some completely-at-home gigs for a variety show of skill levels and interests .
1. Find Freelance Creative Work
As businesses cut costs in anticipation of a receding, many are outsourcing exercise to freelancers. If you ’ ve wanted to break into freelance, the increase demand makes this a good time to do it .
here are some common creative tasks companies hire freelancers for :
- Writing, editing and proofreading
- Photo editing
- Graphic design
- Web design and development
- Coding and software development
- Digital marketing and social media
Search these freelance job sites to find spear function :
- CopyPress is a good, low-paid place to start if you’re new to freelancing in copywriting, design and development.
- Fiverr moved beyond quirky $5 services long ago, and is a legitimate freelance marketplace to list your services.
- Freelancer lets you browse online gigs in writing, editing, design, development and more.
- Gigster is an on-demand software development site that hires freelance designers, developers and product managers to supplement its in-house team.
- Guru lets you bid on gigs based on a wide range of expertise — think, translation to editing to graphic design to ghostwriting.
Need a bank service that ‘s built for freelancers, helping you save for taxes and keep track of your expenses ? Check out Lili. ( It ‘s spare ! )
2. Be a Virtual Assistant
Don ’ thyroxine have creative have ? You could rather find freelancer function as a virtual adjunct. These tend to be entry-level jobs offering subscribe for businesses or individuals in things like :
- Data entry
- Event coordination
- Social media and writing
- Website or blog production
- Client communications
Lots of on-line business owners employ freelance, part-time virtual assistants. It can be a great room to get your foot in the door with a newly clientele, see the inner workings of a startup or just earn extra cash when you need it .
Look for people or companies hiring virtual assistants via these gig sites :
For very short-run work, you might even be able to contact companies going distant for the first prison term and offer some aid. If you ’ re comfortable with remote-work engineering, like messaging apps and television conferencing tools, pitch a train or offer yourself as a adviser to help teams align .
3. Teach English Online
Online English teachers for non-native speakers are in high requirement around the world, and requirements to get started are relatively elementary .
You ’ ll teach English to pupils around the world, most frequently elementary-age kids in China, through companies that facilitate schedule, television conferencing, moral design and payment. Like any tutoring gig, you decide what happens in each session .
You ’ ll set your own agenda, but some companies require a minimal numeral of teaching hours per week ( normally less than 10 ), and working with China-based students means you have to be available on U.S. clock in early-morning or late-evening hours .
These companies offer on-line classes where you ’ ll tutor individuals or groups of kids in English :
- Boxfish: Earn $10 per 25-minute class with one to four students. Pre-schedule or offer on-demand classes with individual students as you’re available.
- Cambly: Earn 17 cents per minute to teach children and adults around the world. No degree or onboarding process required.
- Italki: Set your hourly rate between $4 and $80, and work as many or as few hours as you want.
- QKids: Earn $16 to $22 per hour with a minimum commitment of 12 half-hour lessons per week for six months.
- Rosetta Stone: Work part-time eight to 15 hours per week, and earn benefits including holiday pay and a 401(k) plan.
- Landi English: Earn $16 to $23 per hour to teach Chinese students ages 5 to 10.
- VIPKid: Earn $14 to $22 per hour teaching Chinese grade-schoolers with one of the most well-known companies in the space.
Requirements for each caller vary — read our fully list of companies that hire on-line English teachers for details — but by and large you can expect to need :
- English fluency (Some, but not all, require native speakers.)
- Interest in working with young children or teenagers
- A tablet, smartphone or computer with a web camera
- High-speed internet that can facilitate video conferencing
- Props for young learners, such as a whiteboard, puppets, posters and musical instruments
Some companies require you to have a bachelor ’ s degree in any subjugate, and some only hire residents of the United States or Canada .
With most companies, you ’ ll fill out an on-line application, agenda a television interview and possibly teach a practice session before you ’ rhenium onboarded as a teacher. Cambly and Italki let you plainly create a profile and schedule sessions, so you could make money faster with those .
4. Teach Music, Art, Cooking or Anything You Love
As people have picked up forget hobbies, lessons are in demand. If you ’ ve got skills, make money teaching .
You can teach alive lessons over Skype in fair about any discipline. Get some lessons on the calendar quickly by promoting the service to your friends and community on social media .
To grow the business in the long terminus, start a blog on your topic to attract modern customers. Or put your class on a locate that can connect you with students looking for your skill, such as :
- TakeLessons: Create a free profile to list your skill and let students find you to book live online lessons in things like teaching music, art, language, acting or dance.
- Udemy: Create an on-demand online course hosted through this site to get in front of thousands of people learning new skills.
- YouTube: Produce tutorial videos anyone can watch for free, and earn money on YouTube through advertising revenue.
5. Tutor Kids Online
With school out for the summer and many employees working from home, parents are scrambling to keep their kids occupied .
For short-run work, reach out to parents in your community or from your child ’ sulfur school to see if anyone would be interested in the service.
If you want to get more unplayful about the gig, check out these sites to find on-line tutoring jobs with kids all over the state or global :
6. Join Video Game Tournaments
Playing video recording games in all your stay-at-home barren clock time ? Online video recording game tournaments could help you earn money for the skills you ’ ve honed — a long as it ’ randomness allowed in your state .
professional gamers can win tens of thousands of dollars per tournament and make a life playing video recording games. For everyday gamers, tons of tournament websites give you the opportunity to win between $ 1 and $ 10,000 per equal. Check out these sites :
- GamerSaloon: Compete for prizes between $9 and $10,000 in games including Apex Legends, Call of Duty, FIFA, Fortnite, NBA, NFL and UFC.
- MLG GameBattles: Some tournaments pay out in non-cash prizes, like achievements. Cash tournaments pay out well, though, between $100 and $400. Trending games include Apex Legends, Call of Duty, Fortnite and Gears of War.
- Players’ Lounge: Challenge other players, and make a wager between $2.50 and $500 in games including Apex Legends, Fortnite, Madden and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.
- World Gaming: Cash prizes in weekly tournaments for games including Apex Legends, FIFA, Fortnite, Hearthstone, Madden and Super Smash Bros range from $100 to $200.
- XY Gaming: Join tournaments in games including Dota 2, League of Legends and Smite to win virtual coins or cash prizes.
Most sites offer both free-to-enter and pay-to-enter tournaments. Paying to enter could be worth your money for a boastfully payout, but keep an eye on your spend to keep this likely money-maker from turning into an expensive raw hobby .
7. Work for a Political or Advocacy Campaign
In case anyone ’ randomness forget in the midst of pandemic news, the U.S. has a national election coming in the fall !
virtual campaigning and telephone bank has grown in popularity in late election cycles, anyhow, but social isolation will make it more important this year than always. Put your political, social media, market or organizing skills to work for a campaign or advocacy group .
search for political jobs through any job site, such as indeed, and check out these recess political campaign job boards :
- Political Job Hunt: This nonpartisan job board by the creator of the Political Wire blog lists jobs in politics and government.
- Work For Progress: Find jobs with progressive organizations in The Public Interest Network working on issues including environment and health.
- RNC jobs: Work for the Republican National Committee.
- DNC jobs: Work for the Democratic National Committee.
- HillZoo.com: Browse listings for Congressional jobs and internships, plus tons of “off-the-hill” political jobs.
- Idealist: This site lists jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities with progressive nonprofit organizations.
8. Perform Online
Anyone who makes a know performing — like a musician or comedian — has taken a collision as shows were cancelled to keep people at home. But if you ’ ve got a fan base, you could move your shows online and collect money immediately from viewers .
here are some ideas :
- Let fans subscribe through Patreon to receive periodic updates from you, such as recorded videos or live virtual performances.
- Stream your performance through Instagram Live, and ask for donations through Venmo or PayPal.
- Post videos on YouTube and collect advertising revenue.
9. Help With Bookkeeping, Accounting or Tax Prep
Learning to be a bookkeeper or earning a fiscal certificate to pick up gig sour could take some time. But if you already know how to do the work — particularly if you have some experience — you can perform any of these jobs online .
You can find virtual bookkeeping or accounting jobs on the lapp job boards that list their in-person counterparts. Just add “ virtual ” or “ distant ” to narrow your research. And don ’ triiodothyronine be afraid to ask whether outback influence is an choice, even if it ’ s not mentioned in the list .
10. Get Paid for Online Research
A company called Wonder offers a singular work-from-home gig anyone can do : online research worker .
Companies and individuals tell Wonder what they ’ ra working on — a marketing campaign, business design or inquiry newspaper, for example — and Wonder assigns questions to its community of researchers. That ’ five hundred be you !
common questions researchers answer are related to business or marketing, such as :
- Determining the size of a market for an industry or product.
- Explaining a trend.
- Competitor analysis.
You ’ ll accept an assignment, gather information and write an easy-to-digest report. Researchers are paid per project. Wonder says top researchers can earn $ 15 to $ 25 per hour, but a former Wonder research worker told The Penny Hoarder you should expect closer to $ 13 .
11. Be a Transcriptionist
transcription involves listening to audio or video files and typing what you hear. It ’ s not vitamin a easy as it sounds .
You have to have pristine attention to detail and be a pretty ace typist. The work can become repetitive, because you may have to listen to parts of the sound recording respective times to make sure you get the words right. Most companies require a type test, and some require a grammar quiz or a sample recording before you can join their roll .
But it ’ s a elastic gig you can do from home with nothing but a computer, internet connection and credibly a good pair of headphones. many on-line transcription companies let you claim work as you want, so you can work ampere much or little as you want .
here are a few companies that hire inexperienced transcriptionists to help you get your begin :
You could besides strike out on your own and offer arrangement services directly to earn more money. Transcribe Anywhere offers courses to teach you arrangement and how to start a freelance transcription business .
Dana Sitar (@danasitar) has been writing and editing since 2011, covering personal finance, careers and digital media.
ready to stop worrying about money ?
Get the Penny Hoarder Daily