Inspect Your Title
Before you purchase a vehicle from a individual party, be sure to inspect the front of the original style text file to be certain it is clear of lienholders on the movement of the title and properly signed by the seller .
You must register in person at a Motor Vehicle office in the county where you reside. For information about where to register outside Denver County, visit the State of Colorado DMV Website. Visit our DMV branch offices foliate for Denver County DMV locations, hours and directions.
Reading: Register a New or Used Vehicle
To shorten your wait and ensure lapp day service at the rejoinder, please come prepare with the follow documentation :
☑️ New owner identification (secure and verifiable) or designated power of attorney .
Anyone other than a name owner must present a completed and notarized Form DR2175 Power of Attorney and their own identification (secure and verifiable) .
☑️ Vehicle title.
Vehicle deed must be properly endorsed by the previous owner .
1. Sign title. Once you have closed the bargain on the sale of a vehicle, you must transfer the title to the modern owner by by rights endorsing the title .
2. Remove plates. By Colorado State Law, sellers must retain their own plates before the buyer drives aside. If plates are left on the vehicle when transferred to a fresh owner, you could be liable for traffic tickets and other legal problems that are connected with the plate number—and with you. If you forgot to remove your plates, you must report them lost or stolen .
If you are buying a car from a private party, you may first want to learn ampere much as you can about the history of the fomite and its title, before you sign any documents, by obtaining a vehicle history report on-line. Within 60 days upon sale of a motor vehicle, the buyer must either register the fomite or present the certificate of title with an application for entitle to the Denver County DMV ( we serve Denver residents only ) .
1. Endorse title. Make sure the seller properly endorses the title over to you in order to avoid problems at the DMV .
2. Complete Bill of Sale. Have the seller provide you with a signed and dated Bill of Sale, including your name, the purchase price, the VIN, and the year and make of the fomite .
3. Obtain temporary tags. Obtain impermanent tag ( permit ) in order to operate your newly purchased vehicle on roadways legally. See below for more details on operation of an unregistered vehicle.
4. Operation of an unregistered vehicle. A buyer of a vehicle may operate a vehicle on the highway anterior to registering the fomite or obtaining a irregular license under the pursue conditions :
- The buyer has purchased the motor vehicle within the last 36 hours from a person who is not a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
- The vehicle was purchased either on a Saturday, on a Sunday, on a legal holiday, or between 5p.m. and 8 a.m.
- The vehicle is being driven from the place where the seller stored the vehicle to the place where the buyer intends to store the vehicle.
- The buyer must carry in the vehicle the bill of sale that identifies the vehicle by year, make and VIN and shows the time and date of sale signed by both the buyer and the seller.
- Proof of insurance.
5. Register your vehicle.
NOTE: To register a raw or used vehicle you just purchased, you will need to supply extra information such as proof of policy, enhanced emissions trial and early all-important documents.
Read more: Auto-defrost – Wikipedia
☑️ Bill of sale.
Bill of sale is recommended but not necessitate unless there was an change to the buy price or buy date listed on the claim .
☑️ Emissions test.
When you purchase a vehicle through a secret party, or receive a vehicle through family inheritance or as a give, you are required to have a new emissions test, even if the current inspection report even has time on it. Visit Air Care Colorado for exceptions to this rule. For emissions testing locations visit Air Care Colorado .
☑️ Odometer reading.
If you plan to register a fomite and transfer a title into your name, you must provide a stream and accurate odometer read. For vehicles older than 10 years, an odometer reading is not necessity .
☑️ Proof of automobile insurance coverage.
Insurance card, copy of policy policy or letter from your indemnity company on the company ‘s letterhead including a description of the vehicle with the keep up information : class, make, model, vehicle identification number ( VIN ), effective go steady and passing date of the policy .
☑️ Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification.
A VIN verification is required if the seller has an out-of-state title. or the vehicle is purchased outside Colorado. A VIN inspector must complete a Verification Vehicle Identification Number form ( DR 2698 from Colorado Department of Revenue ). Denver Motor Vehicle will perform VIN verifications for $ 20.00 per vehicle .
☑️ License plates.
When purchasing a vehicle from a secret party, the seller must by Colorado State Law retain their own plates. Learn more about about how to obtain a temporary tag, or how to operate a vehicle anterior to registering a vehicle.
Read more: How To Activate A Tracfone Easily
Learn more about title and registration fees so that you arrive to our function prepared. besides see fees for specialty and personalized (vanity) plates .
**Note : Expect your new Colorado title to be mailed to you within 4 – 6 weeks upon registration of your fomite .