PhD Program – How to Apply
Before applying to our PhD plan, snap here for helpful information and consult the PhD Student Handbook to answer many of your questions about the program. You should besides look into the inquiry and backgrounds of staff in the Anthropology plan, to see if our course of study is a good fit for your interests. You are highly encouraged to contact faculty to discuss how your interests may intersect, prior to applying .
Other Graduate Student Resources:
Required Documents for Admission
note that the Applied Anthropology Graduate Program strives to drill holistic admissions processes, guided by the Oregon State University Holistic Admissions Working Group .
All items below must be sent to the OSU Graduate School .
OSU Application form
Reading: Doctoral Program in Anthropology
- Master’s degree in Anthropology or related field with anthropology coursework, and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5. Submit official transcripts, not web-generated printouts of your grades, to the OSU Graduate School official transcripts showing completion ( or expected completion ) of a. Submit official transcripts, not web-generated printouts of your grades ,
- Three letters of reference. At least two letters should be from university professors closely associated with the applicant’s work. One can be from a professional in their field of interest. The electronic reference letter system, located on the Graduate Admissions locate, will send requests to three reference writers indicated by you on your admission application. ( recommendation letters can be typed into a textbook box on a web-based form, or uploaded as an attachment. )
- statement of pastime including a proposed Ph.D. project, of no more than 1000 words and no more than one page of bibliography. Be indisputable to address how OSU ‘s course of study and Anthropology staff could contribute to your proposed project .
- A holocene writing sample ( term wallpaper, chapter of an MA dissertation, book inspection, published article, web log, etc. )
- A CV or sketch of academician and apply accomplishments (work experience in chosen area of research is preferred ). Please limit to 2 pages entire .
- TOEFL examination scores ( for international students only )
- Demonstrated proficiency in a moment lyric equivalent to that obtained at the end of a sophomore university course in that lyric ( ACTFL intermediate high )
As of June 2020, the GRE is no longer a requirement for admission to the Applied Anthropology Graduate Program ( Masters or PhD ) at Oregon State University .
All materials must be received at the OSU Graduate School by January 15.
Students with a Masters academic degree in Anthropology from Oregon State University will be considered for admission to the PhD broadcast, but are besides encouraged to apply elsewhere.
Read more: Investigative psychology – Wikipedia
Choosing Potential Major Professors
Your major professor ( sometimes referred to as a graduate adviser, or just adviser ) will be a vital part of your application and program. Applicants can not be accepted into the Applied Anthropology Masters or PhD degree course of study until a extremity of the Applied Anthropology graduate faculty commits to serving as their major professor .
Before you apply, it is crucial that you learn about the Applied Anthropology Graduate Faculty, investigate the shape they are doing, decide who would be the best major professor for you, and reach out to these potential major professors with good inquiries about working with them. Applicants typically contact potential major professors in order to discuss common interests .
Some major professors may not be accepting students during your lotion period. It is your responsibility as an applicant to reach out and ask a likely major professor if they are accepting students during your application period .
Steps for identifying a major professor are described below .
First, visit the webpages of staff designated as eligible graduate student major professors ( listed below ). Review their inquiry areas and determine which best connect with your interests. There may be more than one .
Second, create a short list of likely major professors .
Third, conduct a review of the research, publications and accomplishments attributed to the likely major professors on your short list. Use this data to help you determine if this major professor would be a well fit for you and to help you in your communication with them .
Contacting Potential Major Professors
Different major professors look for different qualities in potential students. In general, when contacting a electric potential major professor :
Read more: Theatre Education & Performance
- Write in a concise, professional and respectful manner.
- Discuss your academic and professional qualifications.
- Demonstrate that you are contacting that faculty member because you are knowledgeable of and interested in their work and expertise.
- Include your goals and motivations for your graduate education.
- Address any responses from your potential major professor in a timely and professional manner.
If you do not receive any pastime from the electric potential major professors you contacted, you can still submit your application. Most calibrate staff select their advisees from the applicants who have taken the enterprise to review their work and contact them in progress. however, alumnus faculty have the opportunity to review applications that mention them and contact any applicants they are matter to in working with in the future .
If you are admitted
Before you accept an entrance fee offer, it is authoritative to have a detail conversation about whether you are a good fit for each other. These conversations should include :
- Whether their continued research and projects fit in with your long-term goals
- The expectations you have for each other while working together
- How your education will be funded, and who is responsible for which aspects of your funding
For more information on the function your major professor will play in your alumnus program, please see the Applied Anthropology PhD Handbook .