CAR WRAP INSTALLATION GUIDE
FOR FULL COLOR CHANGE ON VEHICLES
part ONE :
Pre-Installation Cleaning Products & Tools
Reading: Vvivid Vinyl | How-To: Wrap a car
- Grease and wax remover
- General Paint-safe Cleaner
- Isopropyl Alcohol ( IPA )
- Lint-Free Towel or Lint-Free Paper Towel
- Sharp Blade
- Heat Gun
- Wrap Gloves
APPLICATION CONDITIONS & STORAGE
temperature plays a critical role in how well the vinyl adheres to the substrate. We recommend a sour temperature to be in the range of 22 C. If the temperature is besides abject, there is a higher gamble of tearing as the cold makes the movie more brittle. If the temperature is excessively senior high school, the adhesive will activate and shackle more aggressively, this will add difficulty when repositioning the vinyl on the target come on .
We rigorously recommend applying film indoors, as this will not only help maintain a
consistent temperature, it will besides reduce the sum of scatter and contaminants
that may collect on the coat .
vinyl storage :
When storing vinyl, try not to expose the film to heat sources ( radiators, heaters )
or direct sunlight. Keep humidity deoxyadenosine monophosphate gloomy as possible and constantly store the vinyl vertically .
When storing vinyl after using the product, make sure the material is tightly wound around the core .
VViViD® uses a paper liner that is effected by moisture and humidity, it is overriding to keep the vinyl in a dry place .
- The first tone is to clean the surface with paint-safe grease and wax remover to remove any crap or dirt on the come on. We recommend to have the car generally cleaned with car wash soap ( avoid using cleaners with waxes ). then proceed to rinse the surface with body of water .
- thoroughly dry the surface with a clean lint-free towel or lint-free newspaper towel. Pay particular attention to ridges, edges and seams as these areas are often neglected and may carry the most dirt and dirty. To clean hard to reach edges, wrap a lint-free towel over a squeegee and proceed to swipe multiple times. Each swipe should be done with a clean parcel of the towel until the towel shows no dirt on the swipe edge. This may be time consuming, but often these edges, specially in vehicle wind installations, are where the ends of the film are anchored and may peel off if not by rights cleaned .
- Surfaces with any grease, vegetable oil or wax greatly reduce film adhesion and may form bubbles on neglect areas. To remove these contaminants, we recommend using a grease and wax clean. Alcohol-based cleaners, such as isopropyl alcohol may be used, but is not as effective at removing wax in comparison to solvent-based cleaners. Alcohol is best used for spot clean and a quick wipe-down .
- Make sure the substrate is completely dry before applying the film. If necessary, use a blow dry or heat artillery to speed up the summons .
- Proceed to apply the film ampere soon as potential to reduce the total of dust and contaminants that may accumulate on the surface over clock .
CLEANING AND SURFACE PREP FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE
separate TWO : installation Application Products & Tools
- Squeegee w/ felt tip
- Heat accelerator
- Utility knife
- 3M 94 videotape fuse
- WrapCut OR Knifeless Tape Fine Filament Edge Cutting tape
- Cotton gloves
- Masking videotape
- Tape measure
Infrared thermometer ( optional )
- Plan your method acting of attack. We recommend applying the film to flatter areas first, precisely because these tend to be simpler and more commodious to get out of the way .
- check to make certain there is nothing hindering your application, such as logos, hood ornaments, and other bulky objects that won ’ t be wrapped. We recommend researching how these objects stick to the car and the best method of removal .
- Using your tape meter, roughly measure the surface of the panel you are applying to, leaving extra corporeal ( at least 4-6 inches ) on either english .
- Unroll the desire amount of film and cut using a utility knife. Try not to unroll or place the film on the floor, as this will leave dust and debris on the movie, causing scratches when applying with a squeegee .
- With person helping you, cautiously remove the support wallpaper while applying some tension to the film, so that less creases appear. Have that person help you position the vinyl and drape the film over the control panel. At this point, ensure that the stallion jury is covered without any edges of the control panel exposed .
- When placing vinyl on reasonably curved surfaces, carefully reposition the vinyl in order to create tension over the entire coat .
Standard Films ( Dry Application Method )
Applying vinyl takes practice, skill and most of all solitaire. For boastfully projects, like vehicle wrap installations, we recommend having a moment set of hands .
visually identify the center of the panel. This will be your starting point .
once you have a start, peel back the liner and put the vinyl wrapping onto the target surface. Make indisputable your substantial is larger than needed for easier treat .
Using centrist pessure on your squeegee, apply the movie while pushing out trapped air from below starting from the middle outward. In every swipe, make sure to overlap the preceding pilfer to ensure that all air has been removed from the area .
Using felt or an border buff will help limit facility damage when applying atmospheric pressure. If you do n’t use the adjust measure of pressure, you risk leaving air travel trapped behind the film. To see if the right atmospheric pressure is being used, use a heat gun on an install surface, if bubbles apear, use more blackmail .
Another big way to see how VVIVID® film sour is by installing it on a man of glass and understand how the air-release channels work according to the pressure you are using .
DEALING WITH CONFORMING AND WRINKLES
- On arch surfaces, you will inescapably encounter some folds or creases on the film. Reposition the film with tention to avoid creasing when install .
- When needed, heat the film to soften and conform it to the shape.
- It is critical not to overheat the film. This can lead to losing the texture or shininess of the film .
- Every film has a different tolerance to heat and we suggest testing how a lot estrus the material can tolerate before lotion on test pieces .
At one degree, folds or creases slowly transition into what ’ s known as “ crow ’ s feet ”. If you chop at these, they will flatten and become permanent wrinkles. Simply lift the film slenderly and lightly apply heat until wrinkles shrink, then re-apply .
- Using both hands and cautiously pull the film until the vinyl appears flat, while placid applying tension lay the film over the surface .
- Try to squeegee the remaining gloat ’ south feet and if they placid do not disappear duplicate steps until the crow ’ s feet finally disappear .
by rights finishing the initiation can make the surface seem as if it was never vinyl wrapped in the first place. Making this seamless eat up requires know, skill and most importantly, paying close attention to detail. Improper finish can lead to revealing the surface below, ailing sealed edges which lento peels over meter .
- Edges refers to the space between two panels of the open. For example : on a car, it would refer to the space between the front door and a fender .
- To prepare this area, gently heat the space between the two panels and run your finger down the gap while wearing cotton gloves. This will help cure the adhesive material over the edges of the gap and will besides help conceal the surface below. Continue this work over all seams on the come on .
Corners, edges and finishing detail.
Cutting requires a sharp blade or you will risk tearing the vinyl as appose to slicing it. Cutting takes very sweetheart hands and elaborateness or you may run the gamble of cutting the airfoil and damaging it .
edge : When cutting the border of a panel, it is overriding that this cut is clean and precise. When cutting, a 2-3mm margin is required for folding around an edge for a paint-like look ( pictured below ) .
opposition to what most people think, leaving more than 3mm can actually risk the integrity of your wind. For a wrap to be installed by rights, the extremeties of the wrap must be wholly installed on the panel. Any loose or floating material not by rights adhered to the panel or acting as a flap to exposed air will ruin the integrity of that boundary or corner. To seal an border, make sure you inflame and press the film into plaza ( we recommend 90 degree ). A trick we use is having a squeegee guide the sword on edges. This gives us clean cuts and a 2-3 millimeter excess which is perfect. This is pictured for citation .
Proper edges and corners
For rounded or sharp edge corners, heat the vinyl until ductile and push the film cryptic in the recess crack. A control sum of heat should be used on the corner in holy order to fuse the area. Do not cut when film is still hot. Just like the edges, a clean cut should be made, make certain material is flush and installed without flaps and furrow .
Cutting on paint :
Cutting on paint is chilling but there is a room of doing it. It takes skill, solitaire and a very crisp blade ! Gently glide the blade over the movie indulgent adequate that you do not cut through the movie but preferably crease the coat of the film. This graze will allow you to pull away vinyl and making clean cuts without damaging the paint below .
Wrapcut® or Knifeless Tape® can besides be used if you are not comfortable with the above mentioned method .
post heat :
Our XPO generation of vinyls are chiefly heat activated. Basically our films are designed to be easily repositionable ( abject tack ) before the vinyl is heated and
adheres hard ( high append ) after the vinyl is heated. Once the wrap is last applied to your surface and detail cuts, edges, corners are set. Use your heat gun on the highest set and run it over areas that may have been stretched, edges, corners and press the material in with a boxing glove. ( 90 degrees releases any memory on the film, this is necessary for a longterm wrap ) .
When heat, you may encounter a bubble or two, just use a pin or acute edge, pop and remove the air with your finger .
This is probably the most authoritative tone in the envelop process. It is besides the most neglect, take your time and ensure everything is properly installed for longevity and dependability.
Tips & Tricks
These videos should not be used as demand guides.They offer tips and tricks of the trade that can benefit any wrapping visualize. different products have different skill level requirements for the initiation. For model Chrome is ranked high in difficulty.
Vinyl wrap a front bumper w/ Gloss Nardo Grey
Vinyl wrap a car roof w/ Matte Black
Vinyl wrap a hood/bonnet larger than 60 inches
w/ Matte Metallic Lava Red
Vinyl wrap a trunk in one piece /w Matte Black
Vinyl wrap front grill w/ Gloss Black
Vinyl wrap side mirrors w/ Tech Art Gloss Carbon
Vinyl wrap door jambs & returns w/ Gloss Black
Vinyl wrap your door w/ Satin Blue Chrome
Vinyl wrap a rear spoiler w/ Matte Black
Tips & Tricks for complex wrapping.
Post heat and how it works (With Caution)
Tint tail lights with air release tint w/
Air-Tint® Taillight Tint
Knifeless tape to create custom stripes
Vinyl wrap around emblem