As a andiron owner, it ‘s authoritative to know how to check your frank ‘s temperature and to interpret the reading. Understand what is convention and what is not. Know what to do if it ‘s abnormal .
What Is a Dog ‘s Normal Body Temperature ?
The normal body temperature of dogs is 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit plus or minus 1 degree. If your frump ‘s temperature is outside of this compass, you should contact your veterinarian .
body temperature over 104 degrees Fahrenheit or under 99 degrees Fahrenheit indicates an emergency situation. extremely high or depleted body temperatures can lead to death if not treated immediately.
What To Do If Your Dog ‘s temperature is abnormal
If your chase ‘s temperature is perilously high or low, go to the nearest open veterinarian immediately. If potential, contact them for advice on the way. Do not attempt to give medications to your chase at home without your vet ‘s advice .
never give your frump over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen as these are highly toxic for dogs. If your pawl has hypothermia ( depleted torso temperature ), you may wish to use hot water bottles to help warm him up. Make sure to use blankets or towels in between the estrus source and your frank to avoid burns. only use electric inflame pads on the lowest set and do not leave them on for besides retentive. Make sure your chase can get away from them if they get besides hot. Be sure person is supervising the dog at all times .
If your pawl has hyperthermia ( high consistency temperature ), offer him cool water to drink. You can besides use towels soaked with cool water system over the back of the neck, in the armpits, and in the breakwater region .
never consumption ice as it can constrict blood vessels, causing the temperature to keep rising. Ice may besides over-cool your dog, leading to hypothermia. Any methods to cool or warm your cad do not necessarily resolve the campaign of the abnormal body temperature. Be certain to still bring your frank to a vet for an interrogation.
Read more: Safety Pin Earring
How to Take Your Dog ‘s temperature
Checking body temperature is an crucial step in canine first help. here ‘s how to take your cad ‘s temperature at home :
- DO NOT attempt to take your dog’s temperature orally as you may get bitten. Even if your dog were to allow it, you will not get an accurate reading from the mouth of a dog.
- The most accurate way to measure a dog’s body temperature is rectally. As unpleasant as it sounds, taking a rectal temperature is possible and many dogs can learn to tolerate it well.
- Gather your supplies. You will need a rectal digital electronic thermometer and some lubricant (water-based lubricating jelly works best, but petroleum jelly or baby oil can also be used). Look for a fast digital thermometer to make the process go a bit easier.
- Most dogs dislike having their rear ends manipulated for obvious reasons so this will be easier to do if you get another adult to help hold your dog. Have that person gently place one arm around your dog’s neck and the other arm under your dog’s belly, gently hugging the dog against his or her body. Then, lift your dog’s tail and gently (but quickly) insert the well-lubricated thermometer about one inch into your dog’s anus. Press the start button and wait for the beep that signals completion.
Having perturb with the Rectal Temperature ?
In a pinch, your chase ‘s estimate temperature can be measured in the axillary area ( underarm ). Simply place the gratuity of the thermometer into the armpit area and hold your dog ‘s arm down until the thermometer beep ( this normally takes longer than it does for the rectal ). then, add one academic degree to the thermometer ‘s read to get a general idea of your frump ‘s body temperature. Be aware that this measurement is not accurate. If you are in doubt, go to your veterinarian for an accurate temperature check .
- Get a thermometer you can dedicate as “pets-only” and label it well so humans don’t accidentally use it!
- If your thermometer has a “fever alert” warning, ignore it since a dog’s temperature is higher than that of humans.
- Avoid using glass thermometers. These can break and harm your dog. Also, they take about two minutes to get a reading. Most dogs won’t stay still that long.
- You may or may not prefer a flexible tipped thermometer. It can be difficult to get the flexible ones through tight sphincters, but it may be more comfortable once it is in.
- Ear thermometers made especially for dog’s ears can give you an approximate reading but are not considered very accurate.
- You cannot gauge a dog’s body temperature by touch. A warm or dry nose does not necessarily indicate a fever or any other health problem; this is a myth.
- If your dog has an abnormal temperature, try to remain calm. If you get stressed, your dog may pick up on this and get stressed too. Stress in your dog can make the underlying condition even worse. Take a few deep breaths and stay safe on your way to the vet’s office.
Read more: Greasy Hair: Tips to Get Rid of It