Are you wondering how to wash faux fur ? Compared to early types of framework, fake fur requires a little more care when washing than others. To find out more information on how to wash it safely, continue reading below .
How to Wash Faux Fur
How to Wash Faux Fur
Faux fur is extremely popular and is normally used on jackets, vests, and even on inner decorating items such as throw pillows and rugs. however, it is quite unmanageable to wash because it easily loses its shape, tangles, or shrinks. This is why you need to take supernumerary wish and precautions .
With that in mind, here are 2 different methods you can use for how to wash fake fur :
How to Wash Faux Fur By Machine
The quickest way to wash any fake fur item is to use a wash car. It is besides considered to be the most effortless way of washing it, but you need to be excess careful because some washing machines have harsh settings that can cause permanent wrong to faux furs .
here are the steps for how to wash fake fur by machine :
- Check the Tag – Just like other pieces of clothing, faux fur items have laundry symbols tags that indicate their ideal cleaning instructions. You can use it as a guideline on how you wash the faux fur items that you own. If the tag says that machine washing is possible, proceed as follows.
- Prepare Faux Fur Item – If the faux fur is part of a garment, it is best to turn it inside out to help protect the fur. Wash one item at a time to minimize the wear on the fur and to avoid fluff transferring.
- Machine Settings – Set the machine according to what’s suggested on the tag. Most of the time, for faux fur items, the instructions will recommend that you use a delicate wash cycle and cold water. If possible, pick the machine wash setting that has the most gentle spin dry. Turn on the machine and add in a mild laundry detergent.
- Remove the Faux Fur – The final step is to take out the faux fur from the machine. Make sure to do this immediately because some washing machines get hot after a cycle. Leaving the faux fur item inside might cause it to lose its shape and to flatten the pile. Once the faux fur is out of the machine, shake it so that it will fluff up. You can also use a thick towel and pat the faux fur item to remove the excess water.
How to Wash Faux Fur
How to Wash Faux Fur by Hand
The safest way of washing fake fur items is by hand washing. This is because you have full control condition over how you handle its delicate fibers. Hand washing of course can be quite time-consuming .
here are the steps for how to wash fake fur by hand :
- Gather the Necessary Materials – You need to gather the following materials: an appropriate size basin, mild detergent, water, and a bath towel
- Mix a Gentle Detergent with Water – Combine the recommended amount of mild detergent with cool water. The bigger the faux fur item is, the more detergent you need. Look at the label of the detergent that you are using for the appropriate water to detergent ratio. Brands such as Tide and Woolite have excellent options for mild detergent. These are designed to dissolve grease and dirt while protecting delicate fabrics.
- Spot Clean the Faux Fur – If some part of your faux fur item has a prominent stain or discoloration, you need to spot clean it first. To do this, cover the area with the stain or dirt with a mild detergent, then, using your fingers, gently rub the area with the soap. Avoid rubbing too hard because you might permanently damage it. Rinse the area with cold water. Repeat the same step if the stain is still there.
- Submerge the Item – Submerge the faux fur item into the detergent solution you previously mixed. Let it sit for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse & Dry – Rinse the detergent mixture from the faux fur. Make sure to do this thoroughly to avoid it from being sticky later on. After that, carefully squeeze out the water absorbed by the faux fur item. You can also use a thick towel to help remove the excess water. Just pat it against the item so that the towel absorbs the water.
How to Wash Faux Fur
How to Wash Faux Fur with Stubborn Stains
If your fake fur is color white, it can be prone to visible and refractory stains. If that is your case, here are several methods on how to restore the white of your fake fur when washing it :
Hydrogen peroxide is a normally used washing ingredient. It besides does an excellent job restoring the purity of your fake fur but is not recommended for colors .
here are the steps on how to wash fake fur using hydrogen hydrogen peroxide :
- Beware of safety – wear gloves, protect your eyes and ensure you are washing in a well-ventilated area.
- Combine 500 ml of water with 10 ml of hydrogen peroxide.
- Transfer the mixture to a spray bottle and shake it to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
- Spray the mixture to the area with stains or discoloration.
- Let it dry in an area with fresh air but away from direct sunlight or any source of heat.
- Once dried, comb the fibers accordingly.
Semolina or Starch
Another way of restoring the white or removing stains off your fake fur is by using semolina or starch. But, this method acting can be quite time-consuming and has mixed results .
here are the steps on how to wash fake fur using starch powderize :
- Place the faux fur item flat on a clean surface.
- Sprinkle the areas with discolorations or stains with a thick layer of semolina or starch.
- Rub the powder into the fabric using cloth napkins.
- Let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Using a vacuum cleaner, remove the powder from the fabric. If you do not have a vacuum at hand, you can use a stick to beat out the powder from the fabric.
Baking Soda and Alcohol
This solution is the best method if you want to remove the yellow stain on your fake fur item.
here are the steps on how to wash fake fur using baking sodium carbonate :
- Combine 5 ml of rubbing alcohol, 15 grams of baking soda, and 300 ml of warm water.
- Dip a soft brush onto the mixture you made.
- Gently brush the solution on the faux fur item. Make sure that your brush stroke follows the natural strands of the fibers.
How to Wash Faux Fur – Extra Tips
As mentioned above, fake fur items are quite finespun. With that in mind, here are some extra tips that will help you extend its life when washing it :
Air Dry Only
a much as possible, avoid using a tumble dry with your fake fur items. The best way to dry your fake fur item is to air dry it in a well-ventilated room. You can besides use an electric fan to increase air out circulation but do not point the electric sports fan directly on the token because the strong target wind can disrupt the fibers ‘ form .
besides, keep off using clips or pegs to hang your token. This will put a mark on those areas and can significantly affect its overall aesthetic .
After rinsing and drying your fake fur token, you can expect that its fibers will be all over the identify. To have it back to its natural front, you need to brush it gently. The best comb for fake fur items is those that have wide spaces between the bristles. These types of brushes are called glib brushes .
When brushing the token, make certain to follow the fur ‘s natural direction. This is slowly to identify because it ‘s where the majority of fibers are pointing .
Use Detangling Solution
If there is an area on your fake fur that is matted, you can try using a hair detangling product. Simply spray or apply the merchandise to the flat area, then comb it using a aristocratic brush or darling brush .
How to Wash Faux Fur at the Dry Cleaners
Another option you have if you want to clean fake fur items is to bring them to a dry clean. If you opt for this, make sure that the dry clean that you pick specializes in fake fur framework. You may need to pay excess for this type of serve, but it ‘s expected given that it requires more care and work .
How to Wash Faux Fur
How to Wash Faux Fur – In Conclusion
The best method on how to wash fake fur is to hand wash it. This is because this method does not agitate or damage the fibers as much. You can be a easy as possible and focus on areas that require treatment. however, it does not mean that machine wash is not an option. You can still use this method to wash fake fur, but you need to ensure that you lone use cool water and the gentlest determine possible .
Washing fake fur can be quite complicated, but it is not an impossible feat. just follow the steps and tips mentioned above, and your fake fur item will be clean like they are brand raw .
4.9/5 – ( 14 votes )