The University of Aberdeen ( Scots : University o’ ‘Aiberdeen ; abbreviated as Aberd. in post-nominals ; Scottish Gaelic : Oilthigh Obar Dheathain ) is a populace research university in Aberdeen, Scotland. It is an ancient university founded in 1495 when William Elphinstone, Bishop of Aberdeen and Chancellor of Scotland, petitioned Pope Alexander VI on behalf of James IV, King of Scots to establish King ‘s College, [ 4 ] making it Scotland ‘s third-oldest university and the fifth-oldest in the english-speaking world. Aberdeen is systematically ranked among the top 160 universities in the universe [ 5 ] and is ranked within the top 20 universities in the United Kingdom according to The Guardian, The Times and The Sunday Times.
Reading: University of Aberdeen – Wikipedia
The university comprises three colleges — King ‘s College, Marischal College, and Christ ‘s College — that are immediately chiefly ceremonial. The university as it is presently constituted was formed in 1860 by a amalgamation between King ‘s College and Marischal College, a second university founded in 1593 as a Protestant option to the former. The university ‘s iconic buildings act as symbols of wide Aberdeen, particularly Marischal College in the city center and the crown steeple of King ‘s College in Old Aberdeen. There are two campuses ; the predominantly utilized King ‘s College campus dominates the section of the city known as Old Aberdeen, which is approximately two miles north of the city center. Although the original site of the university ‘s initiation, most academic buildings apart from the King ‘s College Chapel and Quadrangle were constructed in the twentieth century during a period of meaning expansion. The university ‘s Foresterhill campus is adjacent to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and houses the School of Medicine and Dentistry ampere well as the School of Medical Sciences. together these buildings form one of Europe ‘s largest health campuses. [ 6 ] The annual income of the institution for 2020–21 was £235.9 million of which £45.9 million was from research grants and contracts, with an expending of £228.6 million. [ 2 ] Aberdeen has 15,185 students from undergraduate to doctoral flush ( as of 2019/20 ), including many international students. An abundant range of disciplines are taught at the university, with 650 undergraduate academic degree programmes offered in the 2012–13 academician year. Aberdeen has educated a wide scope of luminary alumni, and the university played keystone roles in the scots Reformation, Scottish Enlightenment, and the scots Renaissance. Five Nobel laureates have since been associated with the university : two in Chemistry, one in Physiology or Medicine, one in Physics, and one in Peace. [ 7 ]
history [edit ]
King ‘s and Marischal Colleges [edit ]
There appears to have existed in Old Aberdeen, from a very early period, a Studium Generate, or University, attached to the Episcopal Chapter of the See of Aberdeen. It is said to have been founded in 1157 by Edward, Bishop of Aberdeen, and although, according to Hector Boece, it still existed at the period when King ‘s College was founded, it is probable that it had in some way ceased to answer the purposes which it must have been designed to serve, since King James IV., in his letter to Pope Alexander VI., requesting him to found a University in Old Aberdeen, mentions as the chief motive for the contract, the fundamental ignorance of the inhabitants of the north of Scotland, and the capital insufficiency of properly educated men to fill the clerical office in that part of his kingdom. [ 8 ] The first university in Aberdeen, King ‘s College, formally The University and King’s College of Aberdeen (Collegium Regium Abredonense), was founded on 10 February 1494 by William Elphinstone, Bishop of Aberdeen, Chancellor of Scotland, and a graduate of the University of Glasgow drafting a request on behalf of King James IV to Pope Alexander VI resulting in a Papal Bull being issued. [ 4 ] It seems that James was lament to ensure that Scotland had as many universities as England at the time, and it was to possess all the privileges enjoyed by those of Paris and Bologna, two of the most highly favoured in Europe. The university, modelled on that of the University of Paris and intended chiefly as a jurisprudence educate, soon became the most celebrated and popular of the Scots seats of memorize, largely due to the prestige of Elphinstone and his friend, Hector Boece, the first principal appointed in 1500. Its target was to train doctors, teachers and clergy who would serve the communities of northern Scotland, a well as lawyers and administrators for the scots Crown. It was a collegiate foundation with 36 full-time staff and students and walls protecting it from the outside earth. [ 9 ] In 1497 the College established the first chair of medicine in the english-speaking earth. The first reserve ( there was no printing press in Scotland at the clock ) to be printed in Edinburgh and in Scotland was the Aberdeen Breviary, which was written by both Elphinstone and Boece in 1509. [ 10 ] Following the scots Reformation in 1560, King ‘s College was purged of its Roman Catholic staff but in early respects was largely immune to change. George Keith, the fifth Earl Marischal, was a moderniser within the college and supportive of the reforming ideas of Peter Ramus and Andrew Melville. [ 11 ] In April 1593 he founded a second university in the ‘New Town ‘, Marischal College. It is besides possible the initiation of another college in nearby Fraserburgh by Sir Alexander Fraser, a clientele equal of Keith, was instrumental in its creation. Aberdeen was highly unusual at this clock time for having two universities in one city : as 20th-century University prospectuses observed, Aberdeen had the like phone number as existed in England at the time ( the University of Oxford and University of Cambridge ) .
An example of King ‘s College in 1661. initially, Marischal College offered the Principal of King ‘s College a character in selecting its academics, but this was refused – the first float in a develop competition. Marischal College, in the commercial heart of the city ( preferably than the ancient but much smaller collegiate enclave of Old Aberdeen ), was quite different in nature and expectation. For case, it was more integrated into the life of the city, such as allowing students to live outwith the college. The two rival colleges much clashed, sometimes in court, but besides in brawl between students on the streets of Aberdeen. Duncan Liddell endowed the beginning professorship in mathematics at Marischal College in 1613, but the first professor was n’t appointed until 1626. As the institutions put aside their differences, a serve of attempted ( but unsuccessful ) mergers began in the seventeenth hundred. During this meter, both colleges made luminary intellectual contributions to the scottish enlightenment. Both colleges supported the Jacobite rebellion and following the frustration of the 1715 surface were largely purged by the authorities of their academics and officials .
King Charles ‘ University ( 1641–61 ) and the fusion of the two Colleges ( 1860 ) [edit ]
Marischal College The nearest the two colleges had come to full moon union was as the “ Caroline University of Aberdeen ”, a fusion initiated by Charles I of Scotland in 1641, which united the two colleges for twenty dollar bill years. Following the civil conflicts of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, a more complete union was attempted following the ratification of Parliament by Oliver Cromwell during the interregnum in 1654. This unite university survived until the Restoration whereby all laws made during this menstruation were rescinded by Charles II and the two colleges reverted to mugwump status. [ 12 ] Charles I is hush recognised as one of the university ‘s founders, due to his function in creating the Caroline University and his benevolence towards King ‘s College. [ 13 ] The Aberdeen Philosophical Society ( known locally as the Wise Club ) was created by Thomas Reid, George Campbell, David Skene, John Gregory, John Stewart, and Robert Traill, and held its first base meet in the Old Red Lion Inn on 12 January 1758. From its origin, the company was an suggest, private body whose members were drawn entirely from the erudite professions, and this feature differentiated it from the more open and socially inclusive societies like the Glasgow Literary Society or the Select Society of Edinburgh. Over 133 papers were given and discussed at the converge, and many of these formed the footing of books subsequently published. The company was finally disbanded in March 1773. The society and its individual members played a key role in the scottish Enlightenment, and it was the most significant forum for the promotion of enlightened think and values in Aberdeen. [ 14 ] The Philosophical Society was revived in 1840, with the object of receiving and debating original scientific, literary and philosophic papers from its members ; however, the decisiveness was taken on 13 September 1939 to discontinue its meetings, chiefly in view of the difficulties posed by the war, although it does not appear to have been ever formally wound up. [ 15 ] The Free Church of Scotland founded Christ ‘s College in Aberdeen in 1843 for the education of ministers. An excessive Gothic build, with a commanding oriel window and tower, was erected for the college at the western end of Union Street in 1850. Linked to the college was a museum and library ( containing 17,000 volumes ). [ 16 ] Following the Church reunion of 1929, Christ ‘s College became a church service of Scotland college and was besides integrated into the University of Aberdeen ; henceforth, the university has been composed of three colleges. The college build up is no longer used by either the church or the University, and the College is contained wholly within the buildings of King ‘s College, maintaining its own Divinity library. The University hosted its first meet of the british Science Association in 1859. Having no desirable suffer rate to host the confluence, the township raised the money themselves by personal subscription and built the Music Hall. [ 17 ] It was capable of holding about 2,500 people and indeed successful was the converge that consociate membership, necessary to gain access to the proceedings, had to be capped. Prominent among the local organisers were Professors James Clerk Maxwell ( Natural Philosophy ) and James Nicol ( Geology ) of Marischal College. Prince Albert, the Prince Consort, took on the character of President for the year. The young Maxwell himself, still lone 28, spoke on three different subjects, one being a presentation of his newly discovered police of molecular velocities in a gas. The ‘ Maxwell distribution police ’, as it is now known, is the law of physics with the strongest aberdeen connection. In addition, Sir Charles Lyell, President of the Geological segment of the british Academy, and a supporter Charles Darwin ‘s work, made one of the foremost announcements that Darwin had undertaken a soundbox of work on evolution and was about to release his findings. The organisers felt that they might be risking something in holding the meet much further north than they had done earlier but in the consequence the Aberdeen meet was the most well attended the BA had ever had. [ 18 ] further abortive suggestions for union were brought about throughout the 18th and early 19th centuries. [ 12 ] William Ogilvie, known as the Rebel Professor, proposed a composition on the union and reform of the two colleges in 1787, but the proposals were rejected by seven ( known as the ‘seven wise Masters ‘ ) out of ten professors at King ‘s. [ 19 ] The evolving examination system and university research now required much higher academic standards from the students. The two colleges in Aberdeen merged on 15 September 1860 in accord with the Universities ( Scotland ) Act 1858, which besides created a fresh medical school at Marischal College. The 1858 Act of Parliament stated the “ united University shall take rank among the Universities of Scotland as from the date of erection of King’s College and University. “ The university is thus Scotland ‘s third gear erstwhile and the United Kingdom ‘s fifth oldest University. The transference of the Arts classes from Marischal to King ‘s College required the extension of King ‘s at the cost of £20,000. This included the rebuild of two sides of the quad for the class-rooms ( 1862 ) and the erection of the library ( 1870 ), which for many years had occupied the nave of the chapel service. [ 20 ] In 1873, university students voted against university degrees being capable to women. [ 21 ] however, all faculties were open to women in 1892, and in 1894 the inaugural 20 matriculated females began their studies at the university. Four women graduated in arts by 1898, and by the adopt class, women made up a quarter of the staff. [ 22 ]
The modern university [edit ]
Marischal College quad with Mitchell Tower The shutting of the quadrilateral of Marischal College was completed during the university ‘s quatercentennial in 1906, which was formally opened by Edward VII and Alexandra, and which saw some of the most extravagant celebrations and expressions of civil pride always demonstrated in Aberdeen. [ 23 ] Four days of festivities took set across the City, which included church services, banquets, torchlight processions, and fireworks displays. In all, the cost of the four days of festivities was the modern equivalent of £1.34 million. The ceremony saw the concede of honorary degrees to over a hundred populace and academic figures from across the academician worldly concern. [ 24 ] In an extravagant display of lavishness, Lord Strathcona, the then Chancellor of the University, spent £8518 in entertaining around 2500 receive guests in a camp specially designed for the occasion. [ 25 ] After having received an honorary academic degree ( LLD ) in 1905, Thomas Hardy celebrated Aberdeen as ‘ a University which can claim in my opinion to an especial degree that breadth of view & openness of mind that all Universities profess to cultivate, but many smother ’. Hardy wrote a poem for a limited number of the student issue, Alma Mater, in celebration of the quatercentennial of the university. [ 26 ]
‘ I looked and thought, “ All is excessively grey and cold To wake my place-enthusiasms of old ! ” Till a articulation passed : “ Behind that granite bearing Lurks the imposing smasher of a Queen. ” I looked afresh ; and saw the beaming form Of Her who soothes in try, who steers in storm, On the grave accent influence of whose eyes sublime man count for the constancy of the time ’
In the twentieth century, the university expanded greatly, particularly at King ‘s College. New buildings were constructed on the kingdom around King ‘s College throughout the twentieth century. initially, these were built to match the ancient buildings ( e.g. the New King ‘s lecture rooms and Elphinstone Hall ), but by and by ones from the 1960s forth were constructed in brutalist style. meanwhile, the Foresterhill campus began to train aesculapian students in the 1930s future to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary . Façade of the Sir Duncan Rice Library in Old Aberdeen During the mid-20th century departments which had been at Marischal College moved into one of these new buildings ( most at King ‘s College ) and by the former 20th-century Marischal College had been abandoned by all but the Anatomy Department, a graduation hall and the Marischal Museum ( Marischal College has nowadays been restored as the headquarters of Aberdeen City Council, which is leasing a share of the complex from the university ). Following extensive fund-raise, a £57 million newly university library ( the Sir Duncan Rice Library ) opened in fall 2011 at the King ‘s College campus to replace the outgrow Queen Mother Library [ 27 ] and was formally opened by the Queen in September 2012. [ 28 ] Today, most students spend most of their time in modern buildings which provide up-to-date facilities for teach, inquiry and other activities such as dine. however, the old buildings at King ‘s College are hush in use as lecture and tutorial rooms and adjustment for diverse academician departments. In February 2020, the scottish Funding Council ( SFC ) found that in approving a fiscal liquidation agreement with the early Principal Professor Sir Ian Diamond, the university failed to make best manipulation of public funds or exercise good government. As a resultant role of the probe, the university was ordered to repay £119,000 of allow finance to the SFC and undertake an externally-facilitated examination of its government and culture. [ 29 ]
Buildings and campuses [edit ]
The University ‘s main campus is at King ‘s College in Old Aberdeen, where the original buildings are hush in habit in addition to many twentieth hundred buildings. A second campus at Foresterhill accommodates the School of Medicine, Medical Science & Nutrition. [ 30 ] In addition, there are smaller facilities at other sites such as the Royal Cornhill Hospital to the west of the city center, and the Rowett Institute in Bucksburn .
current campuses [edit ]
King ‘s College [edit ]
New Building, King ‘s College ( “ New Kings ” ) The King ‘s College campus covers an area of some 35 hectares around the ancient King ‘s College buildings and the High Street. It hosts around two-thirds of the university ‘s build up estate and most scholar facilities, and lies 2 miles north of Aberdeen city centre. [ 30 ] The university does not own all the buildings on the “ campus ” which besides include secret houses, shops and businesses ( although many of these trust heavily on custom from the university community ) and it is best think of as a district of the city dominated by the university. It can be reached from the city center by bus routes 1, 2, 13, 19 and 20 operated by First Aberdeen and from northern Aberdeenshire or Aberdeen bus station by versatile routes operated by Stagecoach Bluebird. The historic King ‘s College buildings form a quad with an interior court, two sides of which have been rebuilt and expanded with a library wing in the nineteenth hundred. The Crown Tower and the Chapel, the oldest parts, date from around 1500. The original foundation garment contained the Chapel, the Great Hall and living adjustment, with its own kitchen and brewery, a well in the quadrilateral, and a college garden to provide herb and vegetables. The Grammar School was just outside the walls, in front of the College. The Crown Tower is surmounted by a structure about 40 ft ( 12 megabyte ) high, consisting of a six-sided lantern and Imperial crown, both sculptured, and resting on the intersections of two arched cosmetic slips rising from the four corners of the top of the loom. This crown, besides known as the “ Crown of Kings ”, frequently acts as a symbol of the university. The choir of the chapel service contains original oak-canopied stalls, miserere seats, and exalted outdoors screens in the french royal poinciana expressive style. They were preserved by the college ‘s Principal during the Reformation, who fought off local anesthetic barons who had attacked the nearby St Machar ‘s Cathedral. The Cromwell Tower, created between 1658-1662 opposite the Crown Tower, was primitively built as residential accommodation, but an observatory was built on acme in 1826. [ 31 ] The library wing was converted into an exhibition and conference venue in the 1990s and today besides houses the university ‘s Business School. The first of the advanced senesce of structure in the King ‘s campus began with the construction in 1913 of the New Building ( now known as “New King’s” ), largely in a exchangeable architectural style to the old buildings. A large mansion located on the lawn inverse King ‘s College was removed before the first World War. [ 32 ] New King ‘s groups to form a so far larger quadrangle-like green for the campus besides bordered by the High Street, King ‘s and Elphinstone Hall, a traditional 1930 substitution for the Great Hall. The Elphinstone Hall was subsequently used as a dine facility but is now used for graduations, examinations, fairs, and early big university events . The Powis Gateway on College Bounds however, most students and staff spend relatively little time in these historic buildings, with a large number of modern ones housing most facilities and academic departments. Most date from the second half of the twentieth hundred. Some of these echo the existing architecture of Old Aberdeen, such as the Fraser Noble Building with its distinctive concrete peak designed to resemble the one adorning King ‘s College. other buildings were constructed of rock in the 1950s ( e.g. the Taylor Building and Meston Building ). A number of other buildings are designed in the brutalist expressive style, such as the Arts Lecture Theatre and adjoining William Guild Building, opened in 1969 to house the School of Psychology. besides on the site is the Cruickshank Botanic Garden which was presented to the university in 1899 and is open to the public. The Powis Gateway forms the east gate and arch from College Bounds, Old Aberdeen. These oriental expressive style towers with minarets have provoked a lot interest over the years. At one time there was a portrayal of John Leslie dressed in turkish costume, on the walls of Powis House, but there is no obvious connection between the estate and the Middle East. The gateway is besides adorned with panels bearing the coats of arms of the Lairds of Powis. The Estate of Powis was owned by the Frasers – their crest is shown on the towers – until the marriage of an heiress to a Leslie. Powis House was built by Hugh Leslie. The house was the home of John Leslie, Professor of Greek at Kings College. It was subsequently owned by the Burnett Family. In 1936, J.G. Burnett sold most of the estate to Aberdeen Town Council who built a house estate of the realm in the area incorporate over 300 residences. [ 33 ] The most late building on campus is the Sir Duncan Rice Library, completed in 2011 and designed by danish architects Schmidt Hammer Lassen. It was formally opened by Queen Elizabeth II in September 2012 and named after Duncan Rice, a previous Principal of the university. [ 28 ] This seven-storey column, clothe in zebra-like erose stripes of white and clear methamphetamine, replaced the smaller Queen Mother Library as the university ‘s main library and can be seen prominently from the integral campus and much of the city. It is open to the public and outstanding views of the city and coastline are available from the upper floors. In summation to expanded facilities it besides houses public exhibition space and the university ‘s historic collections, comprising more than a quarter of a million ancient and invaluable books and manuscripts collected over five centuries since the university ‘s foundations. [ 34 ] other libraries are in the Taylor Building on the lapp campus ( for police books and materials ) and at Foresterhill ( for medicine and medical sciences ). The university ‘s library military service ( i.e. including all libraries ) holds over one million books. The most holocene build is the Science Teaching Hub, completed in 2021 .
Foresterhill [edit ]
A 2017 aeriform view of the Foresterhill Campus, showing University of Aberden and NHS Grampian facilities The University ‘s Foresterhill Campus is located approximately 1.75 kilometres ( 1.09 nautical mile ) to the east of the Old Aberdeen campus and is family to the University ‘s Life Sciences and Medicine facilities. It is co-located with Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Royal Aberdeen Children ‘s Hospital and Aberdeen Maternity Hospital, all teaching hospitals operated by regional health board NHS Grampian .The campus accommodates the School of Medicine, Medical Science & Nutrition ; the School of Psychology ; and the School of Biological Sciences. It besides includes the Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, the Institute of Medical Sciences, Institute of Applied Health Sciences, Institute of Dentistry, and Institute of Education for Medical & Dental Sciences. [ 35 ] The Foresterhill site is managed jointly with NHS Grampian. The University has had a presence at Foresterhill since around 1938, and the management of the web site was formalised in 1997 by the completion of an functional agreement between the two parties. [ 36 ]
Doha, Qatar [edit ]
A newly campus in Doha, Qatar was established in May 2017. Known as AFG College with the University of Aberdeen, it is a partnership with Al Faleh Group for Educational and Academic Services ( AFG ). The courses presently offered are accounting, finance and business management. The campus Principal is Brian Buckley and Dean is Russell Williams. A new campus is expected to open in September 2022 with a 4,000 scholar capacity. [ 37 ]
former campuses [edit ]
Marischal College [edit ]
The great Gate at Marischal College Marischal College is a neo-Gothic build, having been rebuilt in 1836–41, and greatly extended respective years subsequently. once an open trilateral motor hotel, the college now forms a quadrilateral as additions to the buildings were opened by King Edward VII in 1906 and form the stream facade from Broad Street. The build is wide considered to be one of the best examples of neo-Gothic architecture in Great Britain ; the architect, Alexander Marshall Mackenzie was a native of Aberdeen a well as an alumnus of the university. The Mitchell Tower at the rear is named for the benefactor ( Dr Charles Mitchell ) who paid for the gradation hall. The first step of this tugboat in 1895 was separate of celebrations of the four-hundredth anniversary of the university. Until 1996, Marischal College housed the Departments of Molecular & Cell Biology and Biomedical Sciences, which had been there for many decades. From 1996, the departments moved to Kings College campus and Foresterhill campus. Teaching no longer takes place at Marischal College, with many of the departments once based there having moved to King ‘s College some decades previously. While graduations and other events ( e.g. concerts ) took place in the cathedral-like Mitchell Hall in the north wing, for many years a lot of the build ( including the facade to the street ) was derelict. The majority of the build was leased to Aberdeen City Council in 2008, with significant re-development taking place to allow the Council to occupy it as its new administrative headquarters. [ 38 ] occupation of the rear part of the build is retained by the University including the former Marischal Museum and Mitchell Hall, which was used previously for graduation and other academician ceremonies before moving to Elphinstone Hall at King ‘s College. [ 30 ]
Hilton [edit ]
A little campus at Hilton became region of the university estate following a amalgamation in 2001 between the university and the Aberdeen campus of the Northern College of Education, and temporarily became home plate to the university ‘s Faculty of Education. It was less than a nautical mile southwest of King ‘s College campus. [ 30 ] Following the renovation of the MacRobert Building at King ‘s College to house the School of Education ( completed in 2005 ), the Hilton campus was closed and sold to developers. [ 39 ] The campus was demolished and the land is now occupied by a residential development called “ The Campus ” .
constitution and administration [edit ]
government [edit ]
In common with the other ancient universities in Scotland, the university ‘s structure of administration is largely regulated by the Universities ( Scotland ) Acts of 1858. This gives the university a tripartite fundamental law comprising the General Council of elder academics and graduates, the University Court responsible for finances and government, and the Academic Senate ( Senatus Academicus ) – the university ‘s supreme academic body .
Elphinstone Hall ( 1930 ) which replaced the original Great Hall There are correspondingly three main officers of the university. It is nominally headed by the Chancellor, a largely ceremony position traditionally held by the Bishop of Aberdeen but divorced from the see as a result of the scots Reformation and holders are immediately elected for biography by the General Council. There is besides a curate of the university, who chairs the University Court and is elected by the students for a three-year term to represent their interests. There are besides four Assessors, ten Masters, including the Principal and Vice Principal, and the factor or proxy. The administrative head and foreman executive of the university is its chief and vice chancellor. The chief acts as president of the Senatus Academicus, and his condition as vice chancellor of the exchequer enables him to perform the functions reserved to the chancellor in the latter ‘s absence, such as the award of degrees .
Chancellor [edit ]
The chancellor is the nominal pass of the university. The chancellor since 2013 is Camilla, Duchess of Rothesay. [ 40 ] She is the first female chancellor of the university. The Chancellor, or, if necessary, his or her deputy, confers degrees on graduates and chairs the university ‘s General Council .
Lord Rector [edit ]
The curate of the university has been—since 1860—elected by the students to serve a three-year term of office ; before that, the agency was appointed. The Rector ‘s duties are to moderate meetings of the University Court and to represent student views on that body. [ citation needed ] In November 2014, a fresh curate was elected by the student body of the university, Maggie Chapman, co-convenor of the Scottish Green Party. [ 41 ] other celebrated aberdeen rectors have included Winston Churchill, Andrew Carnegie, H. H. Asquith, and Clarissa Dickson Wright, who was Aberdeen ‘s first female curate. [ 42 ]
principal and Vice-Chancellor [edit ]
The chief and vice-chancellor of the university is Professor George Boyne. He joined the university on 1 August 2018 and was officially installed in his role on 16 January 2019. [ 43 ]
The University Court [edit ]
This body was created by the Commissioners during the amalgamation of King ‘s and Marischal in 1870. It was function of a series of reforms introduced to rectify the method of government, with the Court act as a court of entreaty from the Senatus. [ 44 ] The Court primitively consisted of six members ; the Rector, representing the students, the Principal, and one Assessor each to the Chancellor, the Rector, the General Council and the Senatus. however, today the Court consists of many more members. [ 45 ] The Court ‘s principal character is to oversee the management of the tax income, property and other resources of the University .
Senatus Academicus [edit ]
The Academic Senate ( Latin Senatus Academicus ) is the supreme academician body for the university. Its members include all the professors of the university, certain senior readers, a number of senior lecturers and lecturers and elected student senate representatives. It is responsible for authorising degree programmes and issuing all degrees to graduates, and for managing student discipline. The President of the Senate is the University Principal. Colleges The university is composed of three colleges : Christ ‘s College, King ‘s College and Marischal College. The aim of the colleges at Aberdeen is chiefly ceremony, as students are housed in separate residential halls or private accommodations. primitively, Medicine and Law were taught at Marischal and Arts and Divinity at King ‘s College ; however, since 2009 all of the teach is now done at King ‘s College and Foresterhill .
Schools and Institutes [edit ]
The University is divided into 12 schools which are organised within a across-the-board scope of disciplines, with the larger schools sub-divided into three teaching colleges. Multi-disciplinary institutes and research centres allow the University ‘s experts to collaborate on pioneering research projects .
Read more: What Can You Do With an Art Degree?
- Institute of Medical Sciences, Aberdeen
- Chemistry Department
- Cruickshank construction
- Edward Wright Building
- Fraser Noble build up
- Geography Department
- History Department
- staff of education
- Zoology Building
- The Rowett Institute
- King ‘s pavilion
- A mosaic of the University of Aberdeen coat of arms on the floor of King ‘s College
Symbols of the university [edit ]
The university ‘s coat of arms is an built-in part of the stream logo, which along with the colours burgundy and white, is used extensively on campus signage, print materials, and on-line .
Initium Sapientiae Timor Domini. This arch, designed by AM Mackenzie, leading to the forecourt of the New King ‘s build at King ‘s College portrays, from top to bottom, the coating of arms of Scotland, the coating of arms of Bishop Elphinstone, and the University ‘s coat of arms. It is besides engraved with the University ‘s Latin motto ,
coating of arms [edit ]
The university ‘s coat of arms incorporates those of the founders and locations of the two colleges it is derived from. In the top left quadrant are the arms of the burgh of Old Aberdeen, with the addition of a symbol of cognition being handed down from above. top right are those of George Keith, the one-fifth Earl Marischal. Bottom left are those of Bishop William Elphinstone. [ 46 ] The penetrate right quarter is a simplified adaptation of the three castles which represent the city of Aberdeen [ 47 ] ( this symbol of the city besides appears prominently on the arms of The Robert Gordon University ) .
motto [edit ]
The motto of the University of Aberdeen is Initium Sapientiae Timor Domini, which translates from Latin as “ The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord “. It is a quote from the Old Testament of the Bible, Psalm 111, verse 10. It besides appears in the Book of Proverbs ( 9:10 ). The motto can be seen at the arch beside New King ‘s on the High Street at the King ‘s College campus, american samoa well as other campus locations and in formal settings such as on gradation certificates .
tartan [edit ]
A university tartan was created in 1992 as part of the celebrations for the five-hundredth anniversary of the university which took place in 1995. The tartan was designed by the Weavers Incorporation of Aberdeen and Harry Lindley and incorporates colours from the university ‘s coat of arms. [ 48 ]
Academic dress [edit ]
The scarlet gown ( toga rubra ) previously worn by undergraduates. Academic dress has been worn in the University of Aberdeen since medieval times. [ 49 ] Aberdeen shared with the other ancient universities the wear of red gowns ( toga rubra ) and a trencher for undergraduates, but by the middle of the twentieth century its use amongst the students had faded. [ 50 ] Bursars once wore a black gown, and were made to perform menial services about college. female students wore a trencher with red tassels, while male students wore black tassels. [ 51 ] Academic dress is normally worn only at ball occasions, such as at gradation, Founder ‘s Day, or academic processions which take place for ceremony reasons. For undergraduate degrees ( e.g. MA, BSc, LLB etc. ), a long black gown is worn with a hood of black silk and lined with silk in a color which varies depending on discipline. For example, the liner is white silk for all Master of Arts degrees, green silk for Bachelor of Science in pure sciences, and blush silk for MBChB. A black mortarboard is besides wear. For master ‘s degrees ( e.g. MSc, MLitt etc. ) a long black nightgown is worn, with a white silk hood lined in a tinge that varies by discipline. For PhD, the sophisticate ‘s red clothe is worn with black facings and sleeve line, along with a black “ John Knox ” hood. For other doctoral degrees ( e.g. EdD, LLD etc. ), the scarlet robe has facings and sleeve linings in a different color .
Academics [edit ]
Semesters [edit ]
The academic year at Aberdeen was originally based upon the scots Term and Quarter Days, beginning with Martinmas ( October – November ), Candlemas ( January – March ), and ending with Whitsunday ( April – June ). however, today the academic condition is divided into two semesters, the First Half-Session and the Second-Half Session, beginning in September and ending in May. Written examinations are sat in November and April and May, and graduation is celebrated either in November or at the end of June. [ 52 ]
Rankings and reputation [edit ]
Aberdeen is systematically ranked among the top 200 universities in the earth [ 5 ] and is ranked within the circus tent 20 universities in the United Kingdom according to The Guardian. [ 60 ] [ 61 ] In the 2019 Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings, Aberdeen was ranked 31st in the world for shock on society. [ 62 ] Aberdeen was besides named the 2019 Scottish University of the class by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide. [ 63 ] Over 75 per cent of the University ‘s research was classified as ‘world leading ‘ or ‘internationally excellent ‘ in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. [ 64 ] Its highest internationally ranked submit is Divinity and Religious Studies, which is ranked at joint 25th in the world and 7th in the UK. [ 65 ] It besides has an excellent reputation for medical research and many of its subjects are ranked in exceed 10 in the UK, including Accounting & Finance ( ranked 4th in the UK, Complete 2021 ), Civil Engineering ( 10th in the UK, Complete 2021 ), Computing Science ( 9th in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), Dentistry ( 9th in the UK, Complete 2020 ; 1st in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), Education ( 9th in the UK, Complete 2021 ), Electrical and Electronic Engineering ( 8th in the UK, Complete 2020 ), Law ( 6th in the UK, Complete 2021 ; 10th in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), Medicine ( 4th in the UK, Complete 2021 ; 2nd in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), Linguistics ( 5th in the UK, Complete 2021 ), Musics ( 10th in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), Physics ( 7th in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), Sociology ( 10th in the UK, Guardian 2021 ), and Sports Science ( 2nd in the UK, Complete 2021 ; 10th in the UK, Guardian 2021 ). [ 66 ] Economics was ranked 11th in the UK by Times Subject Rankings [ 67 ] and 12th in the UK by Complete University Guide 2019. [ 68 ] Aberdeen was ranked 9th for the average entrance tariff by the Complete University Guide 2021 [ 69 ] and 9th in the UK for the average entry duty by defender 2021 rankings. [ 70 ] The university has one of the smallest percentages of students from lower-class backgrounds, being ranked fifth from bottom for course equality. [ 71 ] [ 72 ] The university participates in widening access schemes such as the Children ‘s University, REACH Scotland, Access Aberdeen, and ASPIRENorth, in order to promote a more widespread uptake of those traditionally under-represented at university. [ 73 ]
lecture series [edit ]
The Gifford Lectures, established in 1887 by Adam Gifford, began at the university ( along with the other ancient universities in Scotland ) with E.B Tylor ‘s lecture on the Natural History of Religion between 1889–1991. Since then, over 30 Gifford Lectures have been given at the university, with some distinguished figures including Hannah Arendt, Alfred North Whitehead, Karl Barth, Paul Tillich, Michael Polanyi, N.T. Wright, and Jaroslav Pelikan. [ 22 ] A populace lecture serial was held in 2011 to commemorate the four-hundredth anniversary of the publication of the King ‘s James Bible. [ 74 ] The university is besides server to the annual Andrew Carnegie Lecture Series which began in 2014, with the first lecture given by Matthew Barzun. [ 75 ] The Elphinstone Institute hosts its own monthly call on the carpet series, which began in 2016, in the MacRobert Building, with lectures normally given on local or scots topics. The School of Engineering besides hosts the RV Jones Distinguished Lecture Series which provides tempt lectures from distinguished speakers in areas of technology related to research within the School of Engineering. [ 76 ]
Libraries and Museums [edit ]
The library at university has undergo many trials and tribulations : it was inaugural located in the nave of King ‘s College Chapel and then moved to a new site in the College in 1870. [ 77 ] The current library contains one of the most extensive university library collections in the United Kingdom, with over a million volumes and a quarter of a million ancient and invaluable books and manuscripts, including the Hortus sanitatis. [ 78 ] The library at Aberdeen was given the right of legal lodge under the Statute of Anne ( 1710 ) but this was rescinded in 1837, and as a resultant role has a rare collection of pre-Victorian novels. [ 79 ] The effect of the original library at King ‘s College was formed from Elphinstone ‘s books that he left to the university. The books were primitively housed in a room in the south east column ( nowadays the round of golf tower ). They were then moved to a build up on the south side of Kings College Chapel, and in 1773 to the west end of the Chapel. They were located in 1870 to a new build as exemplify. This library was extended in 1885, with galleries being installed in 1912, reading desks in 1932 and a mezzanine deck in 1964. [ 80 ] The Queen Mother Library had been the university ‘s independent library since 1965, and the original library in King ‘s College was replaced with the King ‘s College Conference Centre in 1991. The Queen Mother Library was refurbished and expanded in 1982. [ 81 ] The Sir Duncan Rice Library was officially opened on 24 September 2012 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, replacing the Queen Mother Library. It was designed by the danish architectural firm Schmidt Hammer Lassen at the cost of £57 million. The build sits on a base of Scottish stone. The ground floor is double-height with seven floors above. The construction is clad in zebra-like jagged stripes of white and clear glass. In the inside void spaces are located centrally. Contrasting with the geometric outside, the central atrium formed by the void spaces has an organic form, shifting in location across the levels. It has won numerous awards for its architecture. [ 82 ] The university besides has the Taylor Library and european Documentation Centre ( law with official UK and EU publications ), which is located in Old Aberdeen, and the Medical Library on the Foresterhill Campus covers the Medicine and Medical Sciences disciplines. [ 83 ] Christ ‘s College besides possesses its own Divinity library. The university maintains several museums and galleries, open barren to the public. [ 84 ] The University ‘s collections are internationally renowned and are recognised as of national significance by the scots Government. Originating in the eighteenth century, they immediately have over 300,000 items across a wide scope of Human Culture, Medicine and Health, and Natural History. The Zoology Museum is formally classified as a acknowledge collection of national significance to Scotland and features displays from protozoa to the great whales, including taxidermy, bony corporeal, study skins, fluid-preserved specimens and models .
student life [edit ]
As of 2019/20 the university had 15,185 students, of which 5,060 were postgraduates. [ 3 ] In 2009/10 students represented 120 different countries with approximately 46 % men, 54 % women. Of all of undergraduates, 19 % were mature students ( i.e. aged 25 years or more ). The university has more than 550 different undergraduate degree programmes and more than 120 graduate teach programmes. [ 7 ]
Students ‘ Association [edit ]
The Hub, a scholar sociable kernel The scholar body is represented by a students ‘ affiliation known as Aberdeen University Students ‘ Association ( AUSA ). additionally, the elect Rector of the University of Aberdeen serves along with the curate ‘s tax assessor and AUSA president as a students ‘ representatives on the University Court. AUSA does not operate a traditional students ‘ union, alternatively operating out of a university build up, Johnston, helping to support students and provide events and studying outer space. A large students ‘ union once occupied an impressive granite build on the corner of Gallowgate and Upperkirkgate in the city center, reverse Marischal College, but it closed in 2003. A second, smaller union opened at nearby Littlejohn Street a couple of years late, but by 2010 it besides had closed. [ 85 ] The organization has been involved in the creation of “ The Hub ”, a university-owned dine and social centre created by an extensive renovation of the former Central Refectory at the King ‘s College campus. It provides facilities for the whole university community ( students and staff ) and opened in 2006. A more traditional social space, the Butchart Student Centre, opened in 2009. It acts as the HQ of the Students ‘ Association and provides a broad range of student facilities, but ascribable to city council licensing regulations there is no banish. Facilities at the Butchart Centre include a large cafe, second-hand bookshop, facilities for scholar societies and offices. The Butchart Centre was converted from what had been the campus sports center before the open of the Aberdeen Sports Village nearby. AUSA operates out of the Johnston Building. [ citation needed ]
student societies and organisations [edit ]
There are over a hundred clubs and societies formally affiliated with the students ‘ association. [ 86 ] The students ‘ association is responsible for sport at the university, which is managed by the Aberdeen University Sports Union, an AUSA committee. All register students are eligible to join any of these clubs or societies. The university ‘s oldest scholar organization is the Aberdeen University Debater, founded by JF Maclennan in 1848 as the King ‘s College Debating Society. [ 87 ] [ 88 ] [ 89 ] In 1871, a Literary Society was started by WM Ramsay, and four years late a choral club came to animation. [ 90 ] In 1884, the club besides took the foremost steps towards the introduction of a students ‘ congressman council under subscribe from Alexander Bain, the then Rector. The creation of the Union in 1895 provided a new debating chamber in Marischal College and the company ‘s foremost permanent dwelling. The bedroom below Mitchell Hall in Marischal College is Scotland ‘s oldest purpose-built debating bedroom. [ citation needed ] The first successful university newspaper, Alma Mater, began under the auspices of the University of Aberdeen Debating Society in 1883. The Alma Mater was replaced by The Gaudie, which has been in circulation since 1934, and is presently free-of-charge. The Gaudie is recognised as one of the oldest scholar newspapers in Scotland and the United Kingdom. It presently consists of 32 pages split into the sections News, Features, Science and Environment, Opine, International, Puzzles, Satire, Life and Style, Arts, Gaming and Tech, and Sports. The Aberdeen Student Show is a musical and theatrical performance show, normally with a firm comedy component, staged every year since 1921. Its purpose is to raise money for charity, as separate of the Aberdeen Students ‘ Charities Campaign ( “ ASCC ” ). From the startle it has involved a phone number of young writers, performers and musicians who have gone on to greater renown in the fields of dramaturgy, media and the arts. Each class a student-led torcher parade is held. first held in 1889, it is the largest of its kind in Europe. [ 91 ] scholar groups and societies build floats and parade in fancy dress through the city concentrate to raise money for local anesthetic charities. traditionally spectators donate money in the shape of coppers, a colloquial term for 1p and 2p coins. The Aberdeen Future Fund is an alumnus fund run by the Development Trust. Since founding in 1998, Aberdeen Future Fund has raised over £2.5 million of unrestricted funds. past projects have included a book fund for the Heavy Demand section in the library, providing “ safe Campus ” leaflets, contributing to the scholar asperity fund, providing education mannequins for Clinical Skills, the organ for King ‘s College Chapel, and funding for intramural sports. [ 92 ]
University accommodation [edit ]
Seaton Park Halls of residence are managed by the university. Two boastfully concentrations of University accommodation are provided on the campus in Old Aberdeen and one nautical mile north at the Hillhead Village. Campus accommodation in the heart of Old Aberdeen consists of self-catered King ‘s Hall and Elphinstone Rd Halls. The Hillhead Village is located union of Seaton Park, through which students have a 20-minute walk or a 5-minute bus ride to the Old Aberdeen campus, and comprises a big number of provide and self-catered accommodation across 9 different properties. At the heart of the Hillhead Village is the Head Space. The Hillhead Village was developed from the 1960s onwards, when Adam Smith House, Wavell House, and Fyfe House were built in answer to the University of Aberdeen ‘s massive post-war expansion. [ 93 ] In summation, other scholar accommodation in the city is owned and operated by private providers such as Unite Group. [ 94 ] Following their inaugural year, the majority of students live in private adjustment off-campus or in privately owned halls of residency. [ citation needed ] In holocene years, rents and handiness of accommodation has seen more second and third year students returning to university halls. The university has a “ freshman Accommodation Guarantee ” put up that the student accept their firm put up before a bent date prior to the begin of term. [ 95 ] In 2014–15, the university ran out of rooms and had to resort to temp accommodation. [ 96 ] The university continues to monitor accommodation costs and where possible offers discretionary support to students, to improve access to higher education. [ citation needed ] Halls of residency include :
The first gear advanced halls of residence built by the university on the King ‘s College campus was Crombie halls, named after James Edward Crombie. They opened in 1960. [ 97 ] The Crombie-Johnston halls were closed in 2017 following a worsen in demand for cater adjustment. [ 98 ] The Elphinstone Road halls were completed in 1992. [ 99 ]
Sports clubs and the Sports Union [edit ]
aberdeen Sports Village ( ASV ) full-sized indoor 3G football lurch aberdeen Sports Village ( ASV ) games hall The students ‘ association is creditworthy for sport at the university, which is managed by the Aberdeen University Sports Union, an AUSA committee. Established in 1889, it ‘s affiliated to the BUCS and SSS and encompasses over fifty sports clubs. [ 100 ] There are big playing fields at the back of King ‘s College and besides Aberdeen Sports Village, a partnership between the University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen City Council and sportscotland. The venue includes a nine-court indoor hall, full-sized synthetic football deliver, man-made cricket wicket, seaworthiness suite, squash courts and a sports performance lab among other facilities. The development on the web site of the former Chris Anderson Stadium, opened on 24 August 2009. An water sport center featuring a 10 lane 50 thousand pool and diving building complex opened in 2014. [ citation needed ] A celebrated club is the Aberdeen University Football Club, which was formed in 1872, and presently competes in the SJFA North First Division. The Aberdeen University Rugby Football Club, founded in 1871, has a long history of producing both Scottish and british Lions players. The annual gravy boat slipstream between Aberdeen University Boat Club and Robert Gordon University Boat Club has been competed for since 1995. The University of Aberdeen has lost entirely four times, in 2006, 2009, 2012 and 2013. aberdeen Sports Village served as one of the official pre-games train venues of the Cameroon Olympic Team prior to the London 2012 Olympic Games. [ citation needed ]
music [edit ]
There are a big phone number of ensembles at the University of Aberdeen. Some are directed by academic staff, while others are run by students both in and out of the department and include ; Balinese Gamelan, Baroque Ensemble, Big Band, Cantores ad Portam, Chapel Choir, Choral Society, Concert Band, String Orchestra and Symphony Orchestra. [ citation needed ]
student media [edit ]
There are a total of student media organisations at the University of Aberdeen. These include The Gaudie [ 101 ] ( student newspaper ), Granite City television receiver and Aberdeen Student Radio ( ASR ). [ 102 ]
Traditions [edit ]
Sponsio Academica [edit ]
The Sponsio Academica is the oath, primitively in Latin, taken by students matriculating into the four ancient scottish universities ( Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Aberdeen and Glasgow ). This custom immediately has been digitised at Aberdeen and is agreed to as part of an on-line matriculation serve. primitively, new students matriculated in Mitchell Hall where the Chancellor would give a welcoming address. Since 1888 the School of Medicine has used a shape of the Sponsio Academica for graduating students to affirm in answer to the discontinuance of the curse so far taken by students in all faculties : [ 103 ]
“ I solemnly declare that as a Graduate of Medicine of the University of Aberdeen, I will exercise my profession to the best of my cognition and ability, for the good of all persons whose health may be placed in my care, and for the public wale ; that I will hold in due regard the honorable traditions and obligations of the Medical Profession, and will do nothing inconsistent therewith ; and that I will be firm to the University and endeavour to promote its social welfare and maintain its reputation. ‘ [ 104 ]
Founders ‘ Day [edit ]
normally held annually in February, on Founders ’ Day, the university community pays tribute to its historic origins as an ancient University and in particular, the role played by William Elphinstone and other benefactors in the establishment of the University. The ceremony begins with an academic procession through the university and concludes with a serve in King ‘s College Chapel. Talks are given by university lecturers and invite guests. A candle is lit in the chapel to give thanks to Elphinstone and the early patron fathers .
install of the Rector [edit ]
The Rector, an ancient position dating back to the initiation of the University in 1495, is the students ’ representative, particularly in wellbeing matters, and sits on the University Court .
The beat tugboat ( obviously known as the Ivy Tower ) from ca. 1525 is one of the oldest parts of King ‘s College ( the University of Aberdeen ) but it is now about surrounded by late buildings. tradition dictates that the University of Aberdeen ‘s raw curate must ride through Old Aberdeen aloft a bullshit carried at shoulder height by students of the university. The ceremony includes a colorful academician procession representing civil, scholar and academic life in Aberdeen. University staff and students, along with representatives from the City and Aberdeenshire Councils, Incorporated Trades, MSPs, and alumni, attend the ceremony which is followed by a reception in the King ‘s Conference Centre. [ 105 ] The reception culminates with the new Rector being carried by the student mascot, Angus the Bull, from King ‘s College to the St Machar Bar in the High Street of Old Aberdeen, where tradition besides dictates that he buy a round of drinks for his scholar supporters .
Bajan [edit ]
Bajan, a medieval terminus ( literally ‘yellow beak ‘ – bec jaune ), describing trainees in the pre-student year, was traditionally applied to Aberdeen University foremost class undergraduates. Female undergraduates were referred to as “ bajanellas ”. [ 106 ] second year students were called ‘Semis ‘, and these normally played jokes upon or clashed with bajans. Semis would normally tear beginning year ‘s gowns. [ 107 ] These terms were based on the four years of the degree :
- B first year (bajan)
- S second year (semi)
- T third year (tertian)
- M fourth year (magistrand)